What is an EQI homestay?
Education Queensland International (EQI) develops and promotes programs for international students to study at Queensland Government schools. International education is Queensland’s second largest services export industry and is important to the State’s economy. The school sector is a major contributor to the industry, and there are currently over 75 Queensland Government schools that offer international student programs. Homestay provides international students with a secure and welcoming place to live and practise their English language skills in a real home setting. Most students attend high school but the length of their stay in Queensland will vary. As a homestay host you contribute to the positive memories our international students have of their time in Queensland. Our most successful hosts form cultural links and friendships with students and families all over the world.
What does a homestay host provide?
- A clean, safe and friendly home where students can experience the Australian lifestyle and practise their English conversation skills
- A private bedroom
- Three nutritious meals per day
- Assistance to access transport to and from school and or school-related activities.
How do I become an EQI homestay host?
Homestay hosts are selected from local communities and come from many different backgrounds and family settings. Our EQI homestays are managed by Homestay Coordinator. Please contact our coordinator on email@example.com. Our Homestay Coordinator carefully matches students with Homestays and continually monitors the suitability of this arrangement.
- After completing an EQI application form you will be interviewed by our Coordinator in your home.
- To ensure student safety, each adult (aged 18 and over) in your household is screened via a police check and must obtain a Blue Card, Queensland’s monitoring system for people who work with children.